Saturday 10 November 2007

2007 - AA1 Major Project - Environment Analysis and Spatialisation

The process. Well it was a hassle with a capital HOFF! I had so much grief making artificial versions of these birds. The trouble I see now is that they are organic creatures. I believe mechanical noises would be easier to replicate. Stupid birds. Oh well, it is done now, sort of. I am not happy with the results but something has to be handed in. In the end I took Christians advice and took existing bird noises out of context from the recording I made. In the end I settled for a goose. It kind of worked, but the sound still has 'goose qualities.' I used Pro Tools to edit it and twist it up into a poor facsimile of the birds on my recording. I even tried revisiting the torn paper and Spear without success. Bleh! Hmm, Bleh? Isn’t Bleh that racist hot chicks retarded cousin that whats-his-name bet he could screw for $50 on Drawn Together? Anyway, when I finished making sound effects I made a number of separate tracks in Pro Tools and lined up the SFX with the original recording. This would give me eight tracks with the sound effects on them separated ready to mix in Cubase. I bounced them as individual mono tracks and also through some mild reverb. This is why there is nothing filled in time wise on the assets list. All the files are 1:38. I didn’t bounce them as short, individual files. Although I recorded outside, reverb is still needed to make something sound natural. I tried to make it sound as if it was outside by removing early reflections and making the decay under a second. I think it worked. It sounds like it is at night now to me. Kinda cool.
Time to mix in surround. Since all the tracks were pretty much done, it was a simple matter of panning and using different volume and filters to simulate distance, ie rolling of the top end to make certain sounds more distant than closer sounds with no tops rolled off. I am reluctant to use the term hyper real to describe this work. Although I am not keen on using the term I guess I could use it as the sounds made are exagerated versions of the sound albeit not exagerated versions of the real thing and hyper real is a sound that over emphasises the sonic effect. They could possibly be foley as the sounds are made from other existing items that are taken out of their original context although that would imply vision is accompanying it, but perhaps not as I am pretty sure the sound effects people working on radio dramas were called foley artists. Perhaps I will just stick with the term sound effects. It is a simple but vague term that can mean a lot of different things. For this piece the term will mean ‘sounds created artificially using synthesis or original sounds taken from their original context and edited and/or manipulated for an unrelated specific sonic purpose.’
-
-
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “AA1 – Environment Analysis and Spatialisation.” Seminars presented at the University of Adelaide.

Cubase. 2003. Steinberg Media Technologies

Plogue Bidule. 2001-2007 Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc

Digidesign. 1996-2007 Avid Technology, Inc All Rights Reserved.

No comments: