Wednesday 11 April 2007

Week 6 - Forum - Collaborations (3)

Well I was off colaborating with a CT machine on Friday to see if we can find a reason for the peanut in my head giving me grief so I missed this weeks forum. Anyway, I would have been very interested to hear about particular methods that were employed during and in obtaining an initial collaboration with people that one thinks is important in furthering a career. For example, after reading Edward Kelly’s blog, Luke Harrald’s presentation explored his writing of the soundtrack for the short film “The 9.13” and Edward’s interpretation stating “one must either become multi skilled or collaborate with others who have the skills” [1] seems to sum up exactly how I feel about collaborations. I think it’s pretty pointless, if trying to get a project off the ground, to collaborate with someone that has the exact same skills as yourself. I have found that finding the right people to collaborate with is difficult, but finding those people that have the skills you don't is essential in making a project successfull. It’s all about networking and getting into a network that will actually help me get to where I want to go. A great idea is not enough. After reading David Dowling’s blog I became aware of the style of electronic piece Luke Harrald had written. It sounded quite intriguing and I am now curious as to how the “algorithmic accompaniment” [2] was written.



Luke Harrald. 2007. Forum Workshop “Collaborations Pt 3”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 6th April

David Harris. 2007. Forum Workshop “Collaborations Pt 3”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 6th April

Poppi Doser and Betty Qian. 2007. Forum Workshop “Collaborations Pt 3”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 6th Apri

Stephen Whittington. 2007. Forum Workshop “Collaborations Pt 3”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 6th April

The 9.13. Dir. Matthew Phipps. Short Film. Adelaide, Australia, 2005.

[1] Kelly, Edward. 2007 “f – week 6 – collaboration revisited” http://giantvegetables.blogspot.com/ (11 April 2007)

[2] Dowling, David. 2007 “Forum – Wk 6 – “Collaborations Pt 3”” http://notesdontmatter.blogspot.com/ (11 April 2007)

No comments: