Saturday 28 April 2007

Week 7 - CC1 - Desktop Music Environment

Bleh! A keyboard player I am not. I copy/pasted the Marshall phrase and chose Trinoids for the voice. I had a listen to all of them and they’re all pretty bizarre. I chose the phrase “Behold” for C2, “We shape” for C3, “tools” for C4 and “us” for C5. “Behold” also had a loop set across the phrase “old.” Root keys were set and the samples saved then imported into Reason. I played around with a few of the parameters in Reason like the filters and prepared to play a tune. Meh, I didn’t really do too well in the playing department and I’d agree with anyone that says this soundscape sounds ordinary.

I’m not sure if I did this assignment correct or not. For some reason (no pun intended) my four sounds wouldn’t appear on the keyboard as split octaves. They’d be layers, that I had to change by turning a little knob under the window in the NN-19, instead of being laid out side by side by octave on the keyboard. I was sure the sounds had to be laid out side by side so I’ve obviously messed up somewhere.
I’ve honestly only ever used Redrum in the past as the rest of Reason I couldn’t work out. This exercise seemed a little daunting to me and has helped fill in a few blanks with MIDI programming as in the past all I’ve ever done when I work with samplers (I’ve got SampleTank2) is to simply import a sound I recorded and trigger it from there without any root key settings or anything.
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “Creative Computing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 25th April.

3 comments:

Bradley Leffler said...

Really liked the soundscape, it seemed to have a nice form to it (Looks like those composition classes are paying off).

edward kelly said...

Yes indeed, extra cute, like smurf machines building houses :)

Sanad said...

I liked it when suddenly everything died and a new part started playing. Gave me a good feeling. Is there anything abnormal (maybe purposely) with the bitrate of the sample?