Saturday 5 April 2008

Forum Week 5 The Art of Sounds

Pierre Henry and Pierre Schaeffer. The former being the artist, the latter the engineer. After watching his video titled The Art of Sounds, if Pierre Henry wanted to get rich he was targeting the wrong market. He could have made an absolute fortune peddling his music as an insomnia cure. Seriously. As soon as the video stopped I felt myself being rejuvinated. As soon as the CD was put on and played about 5 minutes after the video, the unrelenting sense of tiredness fell over me again. Is this a psychoacoustical phenomenon? I think I’ll be exploring this further.

Whether I like musique concrete or not is irrelevant. What I do appreciate is the techniques these people applied to recording and editing. It made me laugh as I saw him recording down the tunnel at the start of the film, because I must have looked equally rediculous when I was wandering around Adelaide Zoo last year recording animal noises. Thank you Pierre Henry for making it acceptable for us to look rediculous walking around seemingly aimlessly with a mic in hand and headphones on our head. It is interesting that this technique does involve aimless wandering around with no clue what you are listening for, but when you find it, you know.

Whittington, Steven. 2008. “Forum – Student presentations 2.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 3rd April.

“Pierre Henry The Art of Sounds.” Eric Darmon, Franck Mallet. Released 29th Oct 2007.

1 comment:

edward kelly said...

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam lovely spam