Monday 1 September 2008

AA2 Game Sound week 5 Audio Engine Overview


“Most new users simply want to add a set of wave files and start building things. However, this is not how the FMOD designer workflow is structured.”[1] This statement literally made me moan out loud. I really hate unintuitive programs. The tutorial is difficult to follow in places. The section “Using the Auto-pitch feature” stated to select the option ‘sound definition properties.’ Unfortunately this menu is actually named differently and again I wasted time looking through dropdown menus until I found the right one. The Simulating Distance tutorial was completely confusing. There did not seem to be an undo function which was also annoying. Maybe there was one but was simply unintuitive in its location. I got there in the end and played around with the sounds slightly to recreate an old plane dogfighter game. I did find the FMOD Flange always distorted the cross the fades so I reduced the overall levels. Once again it boils down to myself getting familiar with these technologies so they can simply be used as creative tools. I did find this a lot easier than learning MAX/MSP which still continues to cause stress.
-
-
Haines, Christian. 2008. “AA2 –Game Audio. FMOD.” Seminars presented at the University of Adelaide.

[1] “Overview and Workflow Philosophy” Chapter 2: Getting Started. Creative 2007, FMOD DESIGNER:
USER MANUAL, page 19, Creative Labs, 2007, .

FMOD, 2007, 2006, .

No comments: