Monday 1 September 2008

Forum Week 5


Negativland. Do they have a point?

What
the!? Negativland is a group that rebels against corporate America and its social and political influences (or simply because they feel like being a pain to a particular celebrity on any given day) by taking videos, music or advertisements owned by these corporations and editing them to reflect Nativland’s own personal and/or political views instead? What the!? Who’s trying to brainwash who? Pfft. Honestly, if a satirical approach on copyright protected works is what they were simply trying to accomplish I think they missed the mark as artists such as Weird Al Yankovich has satirical pieces with just a tad more humour. And I do mean just a tad. I think Nativland has no point at all much like films such as Flying High but I guess I could find people ready to queue up and tell me all about the cinematic genius of films such as these. I am certainly not offended by them, I simply do not find them amusing. I guess I am hard to please.

And the use of the above pic is in no way meant to reflect these opinions back on the presenter. The forum was about Stephens favourite things, and each to their own. I just didn't want to waste the pic to be honest.

Whittington, Steven. 2008. “Forum.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 28th August.

No comments: