Sunday 9 March 2008

Forum week 1

The thing I noticed is that these presentations are a hell of a lot better than our presentations last year in forum, but we would not really expect anything less from PHD guys. Collaboration. Again. Their creations were great but I could not get past the fact there was a theme here. Why even have a theme for discussion much less on collaboration. We could have the same presenters presenting the same things again next week but under the heading of programming or apple dunking. I thought the presentations kept uneccessarily reffering back to the theme and I suspect presentations would have been much more informative in my opinion without this confinement. For example, the graffiti lights being thrown on the walls seemed very interesting but instead of talking about the technology or ideas and problems leading up to the finished product, how they were solved or how the art was to be implemented or performed (granted the light and battery was talked about but summed up in about five seconds) we heard all about the ‘collaboration’ with the crowd that threw them on the wall. What?! All I got from this, again, was collaboration fixes all our problems and needs. Just get someone else to do it for us.

1 comment:

Tristan Louth-Robins said...

Tres bon!

Welcome to the realm of (new) media boffins, whom at most turns are as full of shit as the rest of us who pass ourselves off as academics.

I sympathise, but we can't blame them for being deluded by their own egos can we?

BTW: I'm speaking for a couple of the speakers who shall remain nameless. Ross Bencina rocks and is very forgiving - I spilled a glass of vino on him a couple of years ago.