Monday 24 March 2008

AA2 Week 3 – Guitar

Apparently we are to record some guitar parts this week. First up I set up an SM57 and NT3 in front of the amp about 30cm away slightly off axis. These mics were blended together. I double tracked the part and panned them accordingly. Excuse the rusty playing. A little roll off of the bottom end was done, but without any bass it is hard to determine how much is necessary. There is probably too much still but it was a little thin without the bass.
-
-
The second was a “salvage approach” technique from Stav’s book Mixing With Your Mind. I had never done it before so I thought I would give it a try. By swinging a mic along its axis on the stand a slew of different sounds can be found. It sounds like phasing but it is because the mic is being moved against the other out of phase. Obviously when one is happy with a sound they would stop swinging the mic and lock it down. I just had an assistant swing the mic for me for this demonstration. I was very impressed with this technique and will no doubt use it again in the future. All the parts had compression applied.
-
-
Lastly I figured I might as well put up last years assignment to showcase some more guitar mixing. Although this is still not at the standard I want to be at, the mix that I handed up for this was crap in my opinion so I redid it for something to do. Those with a blow dried matt of nonsense on their head will no doubt still hate it, but I think it is an improvement on what I did last year.
-
guitars3
-
Grice, David. 2008. “AA2 – Recording Guitar.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide.

Digidesign. 1996-2007 Avid Technology, Inc All Rights Reserved.

Stavrou, Michael. “Chapter 5. Electric Guitar Magic.” In Mixing with your mind. Christopher Holder ed. Flux Research. 2003.

No comments: