Friday 14 March 2008

AA2 Week 2 Recording Voice

So here we are again. Doing the same things we did last year. So we recorded a few voices, some at a constant drone and others of a more dynamic execution. The first and second one is Edward speaking into a U87. The first I treated as if it was a voice over. Compression is constant with 6dB of reduction. The second I treated as a hip hop act. It pumps and breathes with a reduction of 12dB. The release is also set very quick to allow the room reverb to enter the sound. The last recording is me. I went with a more dynamic delivery and will treat this as straight up rock and roll. The lower sections don’t compress at all, while the louder sections compress with a 6db reduction. The release is backed off until there is no pumping.
All in all, ok I guess. Without knowing the context of the track or hearing it in any mix we really have no idea if the compression is ‘suitable’ or not. I have a feeling I will be opening my blogs for AA2 with that exact same sentence each time this semester. I am a little confused as to why we are going over the same things as last year. If we expanded on what we learned last year and went further into advanced recording techniques with voice, guitar, etc instead of starting with ‘this is a compressor’ I would be happier and more enthused.
-
-
Grice, David. 2008. “AA2 – Recording Voice.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide.

No comments: