Wednesday 22 August 2007

2007 – Sem 2 – CC1 – MIDI Sequencing(1)

“Apply the concepts presented in the tutorials to create your own sound track.” Well it seems I missed that part of the text, although ‘own’ could be interpreted as ‘own sounds’ which I think I’ll go with as I have run out of time for this. Besides the fact of being a crap keyboard player, I have always sequenced manually in a score writer and exported the MIDI file then imported it into the sequencer. I did try doing it the manual way of playing the keyboard and recording the MIDI data, but it was terrible and no amount of quantizing was going to fix it. Also, the latency is horrendous. It must have been at least 2 seconds and yes, I turned Delay Compensation on and off with no difference. Completely rediculous. So in the end I got a MIDI file of a popular song and applied the VI’s to it. For some reason two instruments cannot be heard, but they were definitely playing. I couldn’t check the bounced file as I couldn’t hear audio from iTunes at Uni. Weird. Cubase is cool in some regards. This has nothing to do with MIDI, but I like the fact that you can record straight in and record at 16bit 44.1 so it’s ready to burn on CD. Also there’s no ‘bouncing’ of audio like in Pro Tools. As far as MIDI goes, I still prefer Guitar Pro and if I had a choice, would create my MIDI files in that and not go anywhere near Cubase or ProTools (or Logic for that matter) for MIDI file creation.
Haines, Christian. 2007. “CC1-MIDI Sequencing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 16th August.

Cubase. 2003. Steinberg Media Technologies

No comments: