Wednesday 19 September 2007

2007 – Sem2 – AA1 – Week 8 – Sound Generation – AM Synthesis



Again, not being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to programming, this is going straight over my head. I didn’t understand how to make the LFO in Bidule so I’m way behind with this program and understanding synthesis. As far as I can gather, AM synthesis is pretty much the same as intermodulation distortion except we actually want the added artifacts present in AM synthesis.
I think I’ve done it right. I followed my little sketch from class I made and after reading the articles I think I’m making the right noises. Both the sine and the triangle waveform (on the right hand side collection of bidules that is connected to the main out) seem to be combining to create weird tremolo, beating tones as I adjust the sliders. The bidules on the left are my first attempt (which isn’t connected to the main outs). That works too, but I’m not sure if they’re connected right as they are probably beating due to the variables being ‘out of tune’ as the beating stops when both variables are the same value. How I’m meant to make anything sound natural from this is beyond me.
-
Audio
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “AA1-AM Synthesis” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 11th September.

Plogue Bidule. 2001-2007 Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc

No comments: