Wednesday 5 September 2007

2007 – Sem2 – CC1 – Week 6 - MIDI Sequencing (3)


Well I’m guessing that this assignment was to add eq and effects to our song to ‘naturalise’ it some more. Thing is I naturalised it as much as I could last week by fiddling with the synth settings of the A-1 and you can’t use VST eq’s on MIDI tracks so I’m confused. Anyway, I fiddled about with the track some more and bussed out to an external effect. It’s pretty cheesy. What have I learnt? Apart from finding my way around Cubase, not much. Sorry, but I just feel that this is akin to a surgeon having his scalpels taken away and trying to perform brain surgery with a screwdriver and a rubber mallet and people expecting the same result. MIDI will always sound computerised, fake, robotic and just plain cheesy while using synthesisers. I believe an audibly realistic outcome of a non computerised instrument such as a guitar (or anything with such a complex waveform and crucially relying on resonance from the material the instrument is made from and the performers actions. ((And yes, before anyone says anything, I know we are supposed to be trying to replicate performer actions with this assignment, but my point is a guitar is a little more complex than a violin.)) Another instrument that springs to mind that is virtually impossible to replicate convincingly with MIDI is the harmonica.) can only be achieved with the MIDI data hooked up to a sampler. A guitar is so complex, much like the human voice. A computer is never going to talk like a human anytime soon.
Unless there are eq plugins and such at Uni that work on MIDI tracks, I’ll need to suss that out tomorrow. This blog needs to up now so, here’s my music. Yay.
-
Audio
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “CC1-MIDI Sequencing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 30th August.

Cubase. 2003. Steinberg Media Technologies

No comments: