Monday 18 August 2008

Forum Week 3

It seems that the double booking or lack of booking has overshadowed this weeks forum somewhat. I’m not so disapointed with the booking hiccup, what annoys me is the unfortunate disruption of chatter that occured by the classical students. Did they think they were walking into the canteen? The kick in the teeth continued when a lecturer even interupted proceedings by barking instructions over a students presentation. Of course we, and even Stephen, litererally had to grin and bear it. Anyway, as much as everyone loves to hear my opinions on such matters we’ll move along. Josh’s work on the animated film Toothbrush Moustache was a highlight for me. It was very well mixed and completely added to the vision. The other piece, and sorry I don’t know his name, was the last one where I think a soccer table game was recorded. The stereo track was separated and one side moved along. This is truly in the essence of musique concrete. Time and time again it seems out of necessity we hear editing, cutting pasting and effects added to create the finished track. The editing tends to guide the finished track too much and this kind of approach is no different really than editing a ‘normal’ song. Simply misaligning one side of a stereo track creates the unexpected sonic surprises and quirkiness of musique concrete without actually being heavily digitally edited. Brilliantly simple. I wish I’d thought of it for my project last year.

Whittington, Steven. 2008. “Forum: 1st Year Presentations” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 14th August.

No comments: