Friday 18 May 2007

Week 10 - AA1 - Drums

Drums are the instruments I enjoy recording the most. This will be the sixth time I've recorded a drumkit and it's still exciting. This drum recording is taken from my main AA1 recording project that was done on Saturday. It’s a standard drum kit. Kick, snare, r1, r2, floor, hihat, ride and a cymbal. The session plan for the project was used but I did add the KM84’s for ride and hihat. After Bradley helped set the mics up in their approximate location, I set about getting more fussier as I started to pull a sound. First up I wanted to set the overheads. As I listened in the control room with headphones, Bradley moved the U87 up and down and across the floor tom for me as I listened for optimum resonance. The second overhead was placed by my listening again in headphones to get the snare in the middle of the stereo field. I chose the U87's because they seem more rounder and less bright/splashier on the cymbals than smaller diaphragm condensers I've used in the past.

I had the NTV on the kick originally, but then changed to the U89i simply because I thought it sounded better. I didn’t want a “clicky” sound at all and was going for more of a “thump.” I did have the e602 on the inside of the kick though, but that was to get more of a cleaner, tighter sound to blend with the outside mic.
The snare had the MZ-204. This was ok, but I perhaps should have changed the mic as there is a slight ring and it sounds a little boxy and thin.

The MD421’s are fantastic. This is the first time I’ve had the opportunity to use them on toms. Out of necessity, I used the Beta 52 on the floor tom. It just fit between the ride and rack 2.I used AKG 414’s set to omni for room mics. They were down low to the ground about ten feet away pointing at the kick. I set myself a challenge of not using eq during recording or mixing, so this is the raw sound as is.
Drum recording 1: This is the full kit, all mics.
Drum recording 2: This is a minimal sound with more ambience. Only the snare, inside kick mic, the overheads and the room mics were used.
-
Fieldhouse, Steve. 2007. “Audio Arts 1 Seminar – Drums.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 15th May.

No comments: