Thursday 31 May 2007

Week 12 - CC1

Here's the score for my major assignment. It's pretty simple. The different colours represent different "instruments" while the durations are represented by the length of the lines.

Through our tutorials with Mark Carrol I was slightly confused about the definition of music concrete. As far as I can tell music concrete is basically music not made from traditional instruments. Natural ‘worldly’ sounds are used to create music instead, but at the same time although there is usually a lot of tape editing and looping involved these sounds are kept natural. That is my dillema. I am going to use some noises I recorded, but I won’t be keeping them entirely natural. I’ll be pitch shifting and stretching the sounds to create a bizarre string quartet.

I will be doing this piece entirely in Pro Tools using the Speed plugin although the original sounds were recorded on a Marantz CP230 with a Rode NT3. The score uses zig zag lines to illustrate the durations of the notes and to represent the movement and duration of the sounds. This zig zag score could be used for a number of different sound sources. One that comes to mind is hack sawing four metal tubes of different lengths and widths. Hmm, I think I'll do just that over the holidays...
-

Haines, Christian. 2007. “Creative Computing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 31st May.

No comments: