Wednesday 23 May 2007

Week 11 - Forum - Construction and Deconstruction (2)

After reading a few other student blogs I have a fairly good idea of the presentations. Since I don’t like or 'care' for DJ music, I’ll just do an Edward Kelly and completely ignore Simon's presentation as it will just take up valuable real estate in this blog.

Hmm, Luke Digance’s comments “It was hypothesised that this is related to the writers of the music within the Black Metal genre having a hate for practically every element of modern society.”[1] Now I’m assuming Nathan in fact did allude to this as I make my next statement. This makes me chuckle. Not Luke’s comment, but the statement of “hate for practically every element of modern society.” Now I’m looking at a picture of this band whom I’ve never heard of before and I see them wearing painted faces and black leather costumes adorning studs and spikes. Who do they look like?! Which band has had the biggest influence on what a modern rock concert in “modern society” is presented like?! You wanted the rest, you got the rest. The band that wants to look like the hottest band in the world…WHOEVER!!!!!!!! How can a band that hates modern society take so much from it for their image and try to make it their gimmick? I assume they do not use electric guitars as that is a modern instrument. I would assume I am incorrect.










I’m really dissapointed now that I missed John Delaney’s presentation. Again, I’ll quote Luke, “John came to the conclusion that without the visual stimulation, the music composed has no psychoacoustic result of fear within the listener.” This is exactly what I said last week so it looks like John and myself have come to the same conclusions. It would be very interesting to see what would come out of a conversation between us on the issue of fear in music and whether it could be made possible to create it at will. Judging by the blogs it appears his presentation went a little better than mine. No doubt he’s probably a better public speaker than myself or perhaps it was because he steered clear of words like “formula.”

Whittington, Stephen. 2007. Forum Workshop “Construction and Deconstruction in Music(1)”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 24th May.

Whitelock, Simon. 2007. Forum Workshop “Construction and Deconstruction in Music(1)”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 24th May.

Shea, Nathan. 2007. Forum Workshop “Construction and Deconstruction in Music(1)”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 24th May.

Delaney, John. 2007. Forum Workshop “Construction and Deconstruction in Music(1)”. Forum presented at the University of Adelaide, 24th May.

[1]Digance,Luke. 2007. “Forum wk11" http://www.eclectici.blogspot.com/. (Accessed 26th May 2007)

6 comments:

Darren S said...

Let's align ourselves with the people we purport to hate! What a larf. And even more amusing is the religious thing. Satan couldn't exist without god, so I guess there is a god!

edward kelly said...

i havent even thought of writing a blog yet. as such have not ignored anyone in particular - mmmm, maybe i'll do a freddie may and not turn up next week :P

and then get confused as to who said what, and then comment on my own blog that i havent done anything yet...and then listen to some very metal

Freddie said...

there's no confusion on my part. I quoted Luke and John. Perhaps they were confused.

Freddie said...

This is just getting stupid. My comment of "doing an Edward Kelly", which seems to have sparked all this, was in reference to this in your blog, "I don't write songs so I don't care (I compose pieces :)." You didn't care so you didn't write anything about last weeks presentations in your blog so I did the same here. Who cares? Really. I'd have thought people would be used to my wit by now.

Haven't done anything yet?? I caught up with the presentations by reading the available blogs on the topics presented and made my opinions based on those blogs and presented my opinions in an intelligent manner. Besides, I'd have thought it would be better for someone to miss the forum out of personal circumstances and comment from the available info on the topics than actually be there and not comment at all, and I quote "I think I'm getting quite bored of forum.. it's really quite uninteresting"

Nathan said...

about your comparison of black metal and kiss, that photo you have there is actually of the band immortal, and they are more of a 'joke' black metal band who take shit out of other black metal bands. most of the black metal bands i listen to don't even have photos let alone of them wearing corpse paint.

edward kelly said...

i wasn't saying you hadn't done anything yet, by that point in the comment i'd gone back to being edward kelly again :)

and as to being bored, that's due to personal circumstances as well... opinions and life choices.

and i can see the point of using a photo of a band that you can actually get a photo of - rather than a photo of a band you can't get a photo of.