Sunday 6 May 2007

Week 8 - AA1 - Electric Guitar

Guitar1: Sennheiser 421 off axis pointing towards edge of cones dust cover, 5cm away from edge and 5 cm away from front.

Guitar2: Neumann U87 off axis pointing towards edge of dust cover, 5cm away from edge and 6cm away from front. This had a few various positions as on axis, further away, etc but often it sounded boxy.

This is the two guitars mixed together. It's pretty ordinary. I haven't picked up a guitar in about a year and it shows.

Guitar3: This is (yes the same two mics) set up in XY about 10cm away from directly in front dead centre.

I was going to add the next part of the Metallica song but got utterly frustrated with the sound. Perhaps I should have recorded the crappy solid state noise to make up the numbers for this assignment, but to be honest all I got was a headache from going back and forth to the dead room moving the mic and fiddling with amp settings. Even if I did record the sound, it was completely different than what was coming out of the amp. I recorded with no eq or compression and the amp had it's treble and mids rolled completely out, but what was coming through the monitors was a brittle, bright, edgy and distorted 'cheap' sound. I had plans of recording a man's amp over the weekend, but unfortunately I didn't get a quiet moment alone at home to set mine up.
-
Fieldhouse, Steve. 2007. “Audio Arts 1 Seminar – Electric Guitar.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 1 May.

2 comments:

Darren S said...

Personally, I like the twangy sound of Guitar3! Guitar1 also has a nice warmth to it.

Bradley Leffler said...

Da, da, dada, click, click. Really liked guitar 3, didn't sound fat, but had plenty of body.