Wednesday 23 May 2007

Week 11 - CC1 - Meta (2)

This time I got around the full bookings of Studio 5 by patching two computers together in the computer lab. I originally had booked the DAT recorder for Tuesday but couldn’t find Peter to actually get it on the day. I thought the patching would be pretty convenient, but unfortunately there was a horrible buzz introduced to the signal. All I did was plug into the headphone jack of the computer running MetaSynth into the Mbox on the other computer recording into Pro Tools. I did get some strange looks from other students when they saw what I was doing.

First up, I went straight back and did the Soundwave voice from last week. Here it is.

I then went and played around with the other rooms. Image Filter had some cool sounds. I drew some squiggles and played around with the effects on the right column. I rendered sections of my voice as I went. Spectrum Synth was ok. It just seemed to me that all that I had to do was move the columns around to make different lengths of ‘ambient sections.’ The Sequencer was probably the best as far as actually being able to tell what the processed sound would be, apart from the Effects Room. This created a kind of video game ‘Mario Bros’ style tune with my voice. Montage Room I couldn't figure out in the time I had.

It’s pretty amazing that all of these sounds were my voice to begin with. The only thing I’d complain about, and it’s no doubt only because I’m not used to the controls or effects yet, is that most effects seem to be pretty random and I had no real suggestion or idea what it would sound like when I chose an effect. Apart from the first two rooms, it just seems like a lot of trial and error to get the sound you want.
-
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “Creative Computing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 24th May.

Meta Synth. 2006 U&I Software IIc

2 comments:

edward kelly said...

I like the second bit, and the fourth bit.
It's funny how easy it is to make a big unpleasant mash of sounds (la 1st bit :).
The third bit i think ended up in mine sort of as well :)

edward kelly said...

I just realised what all that extra noise was:) it works quite well for the soundscape..