Saturday 12 May 2007

Week 9 – CC1 – Desktop Music Environment(3)

This time around I made a couple of loops that I could trigger in reason instead of random noises. I thought I’d have a go at making a rhythmic ‘song.’ Well, a song of sorts.

There’s a really long drone that was made from the word “thereafter”, well bits of it since Tab to transient cuts off a little at the start. This is a really cool sound. It’s almost like the sound from the aliens in War of the Worlds. It was made from simply time stretching the word to around 7 seconds. I then normalised it to 95% and went to add reverb. It’s a mono track and I felt it didn’t have enough space to it so doubled the track and applied some chorus to one. I put both on a stereo track and then applied the reverb via an Audiosuite plugin.

I did the gate trick whereby ‘triggering’ a sound by using the Key Input on the gate. The gate was placed across a long droning sound that was phasing. A small transient from another sample was used as the trigger.


There were seven sounds in all when I finished bouncing the parts in Pro Tools. These were imported into Reason and placed in the key zones that were within easy reach on the keyboard. The main rhythm sounds all had a C as their trigger key (but I did have a whole octave for each rhythm sound) to keep them in tune, but I did try hitting other keys within that octave to try different combinations and syncopations. Some worked, some didn’t. Although it’s not entirely in time properly, I am happy with the progress I am making.
-
Finished Soundscape. (Databus won't let me upload for some reason. The file is on this page at the bottom labelled Reason2.)
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “Creative Computing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 10th May.

Digidesign. 1996-2007 Avid Technology, Inc All Rights Reserved.


Reason. 2007 Propellerhead Software, Inc All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Bradley Leffler said...

Yeah, really liked the range of sounds, thought you worked in the gate sound good