Monday 8 October 2007

2007 – Sem2 – AA1 – Week 9 – Sound Generation – FM Synthesis

Sigh. Well I can’t get any sound out of my FM patch. It all seemed simple enough in theory – have a carrier wave modulated by another wave. How can this possibly be difficult??? It doesn’t seem to work for me and after everything else stuffing up, I guess I should have expected this. As for sideband calculating it might as well be written in Japanese. I don’t understand it at all.
After some more mucking around I seem to have sound, but it doesn’t seem to make the same various sounds as in class. As for part 3 of the exercise, this patch just makes the one noise, so it is probably wrong and therefore it seemed pointless to continue.
-
-
Haines, Christian. 2007. “AA1-FM Synthesis” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 2nd October.
Plogue Bidule. 2001-2007 Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc

1 comment:

edward kelly said...

I had similiar problems. But I think I worked something out.. so..

for a start, we were adding freq's rather than multiplying..although this seems to work rather well.

then to add, you need to make the output of the modulating osc much larger..

ie osc's only put out a value up to their amp level. so if the amp is on 1, then they only put out at most a 1.
if you add that to the freq. say 1000 + 1 = 1001 Hz, hardly a noticeable difference.
but by making the amplitude 500, then you make a much larger difference..

that said, you can give the osc any amp you want. but don't plug 'em into a mixer :) it'll clip 'em to 1.