Thursday 22 May 2008

AA2 Week 10

This is another song I revisited from a couple of years ago. The original recording was done by someone else, but I thought the song was pretty cool so I offered to give it a second mix. The first song is not the original mix but it sounds close to it. I recall it had no instrument separation, sounded quite dull, was mostly mono and had no pizzaz if you know what I mean. It sounded rather flat and deserved so much more. It had nothing to make the listener want to actually listen to it. The main point of the song to me was the bass line. Why that was not prominent in the initial mix is beyond me. A rebalance of the lead vocals vs backing vocals was definitely needed also as I recall the backing vocal overshadowing the lead. The rest I simply cleaned up as best I could with filters and compression to give it a little lift and to provide some much needed vibrance and energy.
-
before
after
-
Grice, David. 2008. “AA2 – Mixing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide 22nd May.

Kartinyeri, James. "Land Rights." Ruwini. Kruize Kontrol Entertainment, 2005.

Digidesign. 1996-2007 Avid Technology, Inc All Rights Reserved.

No comments: