Saturday 31 May 2008

Forum Week 11

After my brain got over the initial shock of listening to rap music for two hours at last weeks forum, I was able to recollect my neurons and focus on the subject of this week. Are humans being integrated into technology? I would say yes, but I have the naïve thought that it should be the other way around. Integration of technolgy and humans reminds me of a possible future I imagined about fifteen years ago. It is quite possible that there will be tech/human hybrids competing at the Paralympic Games. These games, filled with technological ‘freaks’ with artificial limbs created for the sole purpose of breaking records, will overshadow and be more popular than the regular Olympic games. Another thought is that if we can replace limbs with so called better ones, what will the outcome be for humans? Will humanity go down the path of replacing healthy limbs for the sake of an ‘upgrade’? It could simply be considered an expansion on cosmetic surgery for some people which basically becomes an ethical issue. An issue I think I will leave alone for now.

As for a greener University we could adopt this:
We should only wash half our face on Monday.
Perhaps even a ‘tits out’ Tuesday.
Smoke weed on Wednesday.
Eat only tofu on Thursday.
And wear flares and tiptoe through tulips on Friday.

On a final note is technology attractive, seductive and sexy as Steven pointed out? I guess it is.
















Whittington, Steven. 2008. “Forum.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 29th May.

Harris, David. 2008. “Forum.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide, 29th May.

No comments: