Thursday 8 May 2008

AA2 Week 8 Mixing


I will present the three mixes in three stages of progress.
Mix1 has the guitars panned slightly off centre. Bass is placed to be subtle and add depth but not overbearing. The vocals has a telephone effect on it via eq.
Mix2 has reverb added to the guitars and the telephone effect removed.
Mix3 has an added delay of 68ms on the vocals. I also stuck a modulator effect on the rhythm guitar. A compressor was placed on the melodic guitar. I also automated the volume to duck at the word ‘sun’ to reduce sibilance. This needs to be fine tuned though.
With only four tracks I kept the differences subtle and ‘more real’ while sparing people any ridiculous panning effects or over the top automation. I felt keeping the emotion in the song would be more challenging and appropriate. I will most likely use these ideas in different places in the final song and thought I would practice making a real world mix.
-
-
Grice, David. 2008. “AA2 – Mixing.” Seminar presented at the University of Adelaide 8th May.

Digidesign. 1996-2007 Avid Technology, Inc All Rights Reserved.

No comments: